I've been poking around tidying up the blog, including tackling my blogrolls. I'd love some sugegstions for some additional food and design blogs to read since it feels like so many have gone dark over the past year. I'm such a softie though I can't seem to delete the links to a few defunct blogs I still love but haven't had posts since 2009. Having watched my own posting habits wax and wane over the years though, I know how it is.
My posting here over the past year has been sporadic at best. I tapered off while mister Bill was sick, and never truly got back into the swing of things.
Also in the past year, I have made a pledge to myself to try to reconcile my foodie tendencies with eating more thoughtfully and healthfully. Some examples:
- I gave up my beloved Strauss Organic whole milk for 2%.
- My sandwich bread of choice is now a whole wheat or multigrain instead of sourdough.
- I've started ordering skinny vanilla lattes at Starbucks.
- I've cut back on my use of butter, but ramped up my use of olive oil.
- I take a walk to the Tuesday Farmers' market or the local natural foods store a couple times per week to pick up luscious fresh fruit, and bring a baggie of fruit or an apple with me to work every day.
- I've cut back my lunchtime eating out — and try to get a great veggie sandwich or a salad if I don't bring my lunch.
- I save the fish and chips and hamburgers and fries for a weekend treat.
These small, easy-to-do changes are helping me feel more healthy, save money, and my favorite clothes all fit a lot better. My immediate motivator for these changes was the age-old "couldn't fit into my favorite skirt." But I found that even after I lost a few pounds, I stuck with the eating better habits, and didn't feel like it was such a loss.
Stay tuned for some more healthful recipes and pantry lists here soon.